What is Classroom @ The Fringe?
The Classroom is the result of growing demand from university faculty and students to be able to attend and experience the magic of the Fringe Festival on an individual basis, not required to be part of a production or proprietary study program, yet enjoying the benefits and security of being part of a well planned, self contained academic program with other like minded folks. And all at a reasonable cost.
The Classroom is a 2 week residential program hosted in Edinburgh July 31st - August 13th, 2014. The dates are deliberately set as early as possible to be accommodate the start of most university Fall semesters.
The agenda includes multiple classroom and workshop opportunities with leading US and Canadian theatre faculty and guest speakers from the Festival Fringe Society and the British theatre industry (all included in the cost). The program fee also includes 10 Fringe productions, 5 of which are mandated by the host faculty and 5 are selected by the attendee once on site. Host faculty will lead interactive discussions on all productions. The festival offers theatre 24/7 so there will also be plenty of opportunity for you to attend additional shows of your choice
We will also enjoy each other’s company at a couple of special group dinner events as well as some opportunities to discover the cultural and scenic sights in and around the Scottish capital city.
Who should consider attending Classroom @ The Fringe?
• Students of theatre, film and media, literature and other liberal arts courses currently enrolled in undergraduate or post graduate courses.
• University faculty and staff
• Anyone wanting to spend 2 wonderful weeks immersed in all things theatre while enjoying an informative and thought provoking series of lectures and workshops in an academic setting.
• Most of all, we hope you will find this experience so rewarding that you will return in future years (and bring your friends).
• All participants must be at least 18 years of age by May 31st, 2014. This is an adult orientated event and we regret children under 18 are not permitted under any circumstances.
• We recommend participants are either enrolled or recently graduated from an institution of higher education or active participants in professional or community theatre.
• The program is open to all nationalities around the world. Please note however that lectures and communications will be delivered in English.
• No financial credit or other form of discounts is offered for not participating in any programmed activity
This is what The Classroom package includes:
• 13 nights accommodation on the campus of Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh. All rooms are single occupancy and are with private bathrooms. Click here for further details on the accommodations. The campus is exceptionally secure with 24 hour security and key pad entry.
• Full cooked breakfast daily
• 8-10 lectures/workshops and discussion groups held on the QMU campus at no additional cost. These will be highly informative and entertaining but will also be academically challenging.
• Tickets to 5 Fringe productions which will be pre selected by Classroom faculty prior to departure from the US. Selections will be confirmed approximately 4 weeks prior to your arrival in Edinburgh.
• Tickets to 5 additional productions of your choice which you will purchase once in Edinburgh. Many Fringe hits only emerge once the festival is underway. You will be provided with a cash stipend in Edinburgh for this purpose. Classroom faculty may request that you share your thoughts on these productions for the purposes of group discussions.
• Welcome social event and mixer
• Full day excursion to Loch Lomond, Stirling Castle and The Trossachs region.
• City tour of Edinburgh including the famous Castle.
• Public transport pass providing free bus and train transportation across the city for the entire 2 weeks. A limited number of taxi vouchers will also be provided for late night returns.
• Farewell group dinner with Scottish entertainment
• Accompanied by US and Canadian university theatre faculty
• Onsite assistance from Classroom ground staff and 24 hour emergency service
Classroom@ The Fringe, West 115 Century Road, Suite 330, Paramus NJ 07652.
A brand of Select Travel Study and Select Travel Service Ltd (UK). Tel: 800.752.6787
Select Travel Service Inc is a registered seller of travel services in the state of California #2101637-40.
© Copyright 2013 Select Travel Service Ltd. All right reserved